At age 15, Morgan knew enough about painting to learn Sumi brush strokes. Even at 15, Morgan had the mindfulness to view her own practice and go learn specific skills to improve. No technical issue was going to hold Morgan back. Now, decades later, Morgan Samuel Price has technical skills few painters ever possess. Morgan will tell you that you make 22 decisions with each brushstroke and she can name them. You only develop technical skills like this with a very fine mind and the tenacity to use it.
Her professional career began in 1968 after graduating from Ringling School of Art. She began working at Hallmark Cards as an illustrator. She worked as art director of the News Herald in Like County Ohio. When she moved to Ardmore, Oklahoma with her young family she decided to become a fine artist. She lived in a town with no galleries, no museum, no art stores, and no art centers. When Morgan left Ardmore she was running art groups for doctors, lawyers, and developing painting skills of men, women and children. Morgan left Ardmore with 4 flourishing art stores because practically everyone around had started painting. She turned a small town in Oklahoma into a town with a thriving visual arts culture before she turned 30.
In the process, Morgan discovered she loved teaching as much as she loved painting. Many artists teach but not all see teaching itself as an art. Morgan did. Morgan learned to explain a single concept many ways. She tuned into how different people hear information. She put learning issues into treasure boxes. Because Morgan respected the art of teaching, Morgan became one of our most respected teachers of art.
Most of Morgan’s students can name the 23 most common design problems. Few probably realize she still examines every inch of her paintings to assure that she has not made those same mistakes herself. Morgan likely has the largest return rate of any painting teacher today. She remembers you and your work, even decades later. Within one painting Morgan knows exactly what you need to do next to be even better. She does not teach generally. Every word she speaks to a group or to a student is tailored, specific, and inclusive of your needs and everyone else in the workshop.
Morgan has authored two books: Turn on the Light, a touchstone to Plein Air Painting and Oil with a Basic Palette. She has produced over 14 DVD’s and numerous on-line Video Educational Products. Morgan has exhibited in 60 + National Exhibitions, Plein Air Invitational Events throughout the country and numerous solo gallery exhibitions.
Morgan has authored two books: Turn on the Light, a touchstone to Plein Air Painting and Oil with a Basic Palette. She has produced over 14 DVD’s and numerous on-line Video Educational Products. Morgan has exhibited in 60 + National Exhibitions, Plein Air Invitational Events throughout the country and numerous solo gallery exhibitions. Her awards are listed here.
Morgan always sees the positive. Her vision is always up. She takes you along with her until your own enjoyment of the visual beauty that surrounds all of us has turned into passion. You start seeing in values and plotting how you can paint more often.
Her 40-year plus career is an overwhelming desire to elevate each moment with uplifting thought through visual enjoyment. Sharing her gifts through painting and teaching has brought endless rewards. Morgan is always the most grateful person in the room.
You always know when Morgan enters a room. It isn’t the excitement of being with a rock star painter, it’s the excitement Morgan brings being fully present in any situation. She is absolutely in the moment all the time.
Morgan has exclaimed on more than one occasion: "It is not what you see, but how you see it. You don't need to go to the Grand Canyon to see beautiful. It is right outside your door".
Her motivation to paint is stimulated by light as it flows across the shapes of the scene. Morgan sees light as a tool to explore the visual pleasure of the movement over the objects. Capturing that movement sets the time of day. Retaining that choice of actual time creates the plausible illusion. The painting is never about the subject. It is about the physical sensation of temperature felt, the sense of presence enjoyed.
Morgan is a member of many art societies including Salmagundi Club NYC, Allied Artists NYC, and American Society of Marine Artists & Oil Painters of America.
Morgan is a painter, a teacher, and a master artist that is always involved in keeping painting alive and flourishing wherever she is. Morgan understands completely that fine art flourishes only in places that offer artists opportunities to learn and earn at every level. Her presence at a Paint Out elevates everyone. I have often heard other artists thank her for being present and bringing in collectors. But to Morgan, that is just part of being an artist, a teacher, a friend and a lover of art. Getting to know Morgan has been one of my greatest gifts.
She is often called “Florida’s Painter”. Few painters can catch Florida’s wildness and her quiet hospitality. She paints our world as it is now, and we will be always grateful for that in the future.
AWARDS • HONORS • PLEIN AIR INVITATIONALS
NATIONAL EXHIBITIONS • SOLO EXHIBITONS
- Paradise Paintout Islamorado, FL En Plein Air InvitationalJanuary 11 - 16, 2015
- The Florida Four Group Exhibition The Englishman Gallery Group Exhibition, March 2015 to April 2015
- Wekiva Island Paint Out Plein Air Invitational, March 1 - 7, 2015, Longwood, Florida
- Lighthouse Museum Plein Air Invitational Juror of Awards, March 14, 2015
- 132nd Annual Member’s Exhibition Salmagundi Club 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York, March 26, 2015 to April 30, 2015
- Winter Park Paint Out Plein Air Invitational, April 20 - 25,2015, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens, Winter Park, Florida
- Oil Painters of America Guest Artist Painting Demonstration at the National Convention in St. Augustine, FL May 1,2015
- America’s Great Paint-Out 9th Annual Florida’s Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational, May 1 to 11, May 1 to 11, 2015, Port St. Joe, FL
- Cashiers Joy Garden Tour Artist Invitational ,July 16 - 19,2015
- Salmagundi Club at the Bennington Art Center Invitational, May 30 – July 26,2015
- Ambleside Gallery Exhibition
- The Florida Four Group Exhibition The Florida Four Group Exhibition, Art House Casselberry, FL, November 1, 2015 to November 7, 2015
- The Florida Four Group Exhibition The Englishman Gallery Group Exhibition, February 2014 to April 2014
- Wekiva Island Paint Out Plein Air Invitational, March 2- 8, 2014, Longwood, Florida
- 131st Annual Member’s Exhibition Salmagundi Club 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York, March 26, 2014 to April 30, 2014
- The Florida Four Group Exhibition, Art House Casselberry, FL, March 30, 2014 to April 4, 2014
- Winter Park Paint Out Plein Air Invitational, April 20 - 26,2014, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens, Winter Park, Florida
- America’s Great Paint-Out 9th Annual Florida’s Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational, May 1 to 11, 2014
- Wekiva Island Paint Out Plein Air Invitational/Featured Poster Artist, Longwood, Florida, March 3- 9, 2013
- The Florida Four Exhibition/The Englishman Gallery, February 16- 22, 2013
- The Florida Four Exhibition April 2013/Group Exhibition, Art House Casselberry, FL
- Plein Air Magazine 3rd National Convention, VIP Guest Artists Morgan Samuel Price & Don Demers/Presenters, April 2013, Las Vegas, NV
- Callaway Gardens Plein Air Invitational, April 2013, Honorable Mention/Painting title: Under the Snowball Tree
- Winter Park Paint Out/Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens, Plein Air Invitational Winter Park, Florida, April 2013
- America’s Great Paint-Out, 8th Annual Florida’s Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational, May 2013, 1st Place in the Quick Draw
- 2013 ASMA South, American Society of Marine Artists/South Exhibition:Cruising Southern Waters, June – August 2013
- Friends of Canaveral National Seashore Paint Out 2013 Plein Air Invitational, October 2013
- Cumberland Society of Painters National Exhibition, Nashville, TN, October/November 2013, Honorable Mention Painting title: Rainbow Eucalyptus
- 100th Allied Artists Annual Members Exhibition,Allied Artists Group Exhibition, New York, New York, November 2013
- Koman Gallery, Vero Beach, Florida, Solo Exhibition, December 2013
- Wekiva Island Paint Out Plein Air Invitational, March 2012, Longwood, Florida
- Plein Air Magazine 2nd National Convention, VIP Artist, April 2012, Las Vegas, NV
- Callaway Gardens Plein Air Invitational, April 2012, Honorable Mention, Painting Title: Park
- American Society of Marine Artists, Invited into Membership, Signature Member 2012
- 2012 Winter Park Paint Out, Plein Air Invitational, April 2012, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens, Winter Park, Florida
- 7th Annual Florida’s Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational, Honorable Mention in the Quick Draw
- Plein Air Invitational, Cashiers, NC, July 2012
- Canaveral National Seashore Plein Air Paint Out Plein Air Invitational, November 2012, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- 99th Allied Artists Annual Members Exhibition, Allied Artists Group Exhibition, New York, New York, November 2012
- Salmagundi Club 126th Annual Members Exhibition, 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York, November 2012
- Salmagundi Club 104th Annual Thumb-Box Exhibition, 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York, Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Work, Title: On the Alley, December 2012
- 2011 Maui Plein Air Painting, Quick Draw Award for “Turquoise Shorts”
- Wekiva Plein Air Invitational 2011, March 7 – 11, 2011, Wekiva Springs, FL
- Winter Park Paint Out 2011, April 23 – 30, 2011, Albin Polosek Museum & Sculpture Gardens, Winter Park, FL
- Koman Fine Art Solo Exhibition, Vero Beach, FL, April 2011
- Florida’a Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational, May 13 – 22, 2011
- Joy Luck Garden Tour Plein Air Event, Cashiers, NC, July 13 -15, 2011
- Easton Plein Air Event, Easton, MD, July 18 – 22, 2011
- Arti et Amicitiae Exhibition, Amsterdam, Holland, October 13 – November 13, 2011
- Salmagundi Club Group Exhibition, New York, New York, 2011 Fall Auction Exhibition, Holbert Nichols SCNY Award, Painting titled: Glacier Splendor, October 2011
- Salmagundi Club, New York, New York, 128th Annual Members Exhibition, November 14 – 26, 2011
- America China Oil Painting Artists League, 50 Finalists, “Buddy’s Boys” 16 x 20, November 29, 2011